Gluten Free Holiday Shortbread Cookies with Tiger Nuts Flour!
Hi everyone, just in time for the Holidays, our Chef Kimberly has come up with a terrific Tiger Nuts GLUTEN FREE Shortbread Cookies, that your friends and family will fall in love with.
They look and taste great, and of course they have the benefit of using our NUT FREE Tiger Nuts FLOUR too!
- 1 1/2 cups tiger nut flour – sifted, plus up to 1/4 cup extra if needed, to achieve desired texture
- 1 cup butter – softened; unsalted, if on hand
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup icing sugar or confectioners sugar – sifted; + up to 1/4 cup if needed, to achieve desired sweetness
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup corn starch – sifted; + up to 1 tbsp if needed, to achieve desired texture
- cookie decorations or sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake at 300 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, until light in color & fluffy.
- Add in egg yolk, incorporating into mixture & scrape down sides with a spatula, if needed.
- Add white sugar & beat well.
- Slowly beat in the icing sugar.
- Add the corn starch gradually & combine with mixture. Be sure to scrape down sides.
- Stir in the tiger nut flour, adding in 1/3 of the quantity at a time, combining thoroughly between additions.
- Note: The consistency should be similar to oatmeal.
- Note: In order to achieve the desired texture, I have increased the tiger nut flour by 1/4 cup, the icing sugar by 1/4 cup, and the corn starch by 1 tbsp. This is the time to make any adjustments that you deem necessary.
- Note: On any given day, the ingredients might have to be adjusted due to differences in weather, ingredient temperature, or the type or denseness of the flour used. Since tiger nut flour creates a slightly different texture from regular all purpose flour, sometimes adjustments are made to achieve the desired texture results.
- Turn the cookie dough on to a board or pastry sheet, using corn starch in place of bench flour.
- Pack the dough mixture together with your hands, kneading somewhat, until you are able to create a cohesive disc.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for approximately 20 minutes, in order for the butter in the dough to re-solidify.
- Remove plastic wrap from dough disc.
- Using corn starch on your bench/working surface, roll out dough to approximately 1/4 inch thick. Using cookie cutters or cutting out free form designs by hand, cut out the shapes desired & decorate the cookies.
- Note: This dough can easily be re-rolled, so don’t waste any dough left over, after you cut out your first batch.
- Note: Do not use any icing on your cookies at this time – icing can be applied after cookies have baked & cooled.
- Place cookies on baking sheets, and reduce heat to 300 degrees F to bake. Baking time is 10 – 18 minutes, depending on atmospheric conditions & the nuances of your own oven. Check for "doneness" at 8 minutes, to be sure not to burn the edges of your cookies.
- Note: Once you have the timing down for your first batch, make a note of the time & use that benchmark for the next batches.
- Transfer cookie sheets from the oven, and allow to sit on the pans for a few minutes, while cooling.
- Remove cookies from sheets & allow to finish cooling on a wire rack.
These Gluten Free Holiday Tiger Nut Shortbread Cookies are crispy, with that sandy cookie texture you crave, and just the perfect sweetness!
This show is brought to you by Tiger Nuts:
Tiger Nuts products are available online:
By the way right now we have FREE SHIPPING on any 2 kilo's of Tiger Nuts FLOUR or any of our Kilo products, hope you bake a terrific Holiday!
Just click here to go to get your Premium Organic Tiger Nuts FLOUR and start baking for the Holidays!