Tiger Nuts Chef Kimberly has come up with this terrific Gluten Free Tiger Nuts Winter Sauce Cake with Hot Sauce, and it will be a huge hit in you house too, if you bake it can be the perfect addition to your Holiday repertoire.
In this recipe, Chef Kimberly use Organic Tiger Nuts Flour, which is not only nut-free, but gluten-free, & cholesterol-freetoo. Made from ground up tiger nuts, this flour is light & super versatile for baking & cooking, alike!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 45 – 60 minutes at 350 degrees F
Yield: 1 cake using a tube pan
The ingredients & instructions are listed below the video for measurements & directions.
* Note: It is important to have all ingredients at room temperature before you begin.
- 2 1/2 cups tiger nuts flour – sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger – finely grated
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- zest 1 orange
- 3/4 cup butter – softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup eggnog – or milk, cream, buttermilk, sour cream, yogurt
- juice 1 orange
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée – pumpkin pie filling or mashed sweet potatoes can be used
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- Note: Have available a greased 9 inch tube pan, or 8 inch or 10 inch fluted tube pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, whisk together until thoroughly combined, the following dry ingredients: tiger nuts flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin pie spice, ginger, cayenne, salt & orange zest. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy, using a mixer or hand mixer.
- Gradually add brown sugar, and beat on high speed until light & fluffy –about 2-4 minutes.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, and then beat in, vanilla extract & pumpkin purée.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture in 4 parts, alternating with the egg nog, and beat until smooth.
- Note: Be sure to scrape the sides with a rubber spatula, to ensure all the flour has been incorporated.
- Add orange juice & beat until smooth.
- Using clean beaters, in another clean bowl & on medium speed, beat egg whites & cream of tartar for 30 seconds.
- On high speed, gradually add white sugar to the egg whites, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form, but the whites are not dry.
- With a rubber spatula, fold 1/4 of egg whites into the flour & egg mixture, until well dispersed. Fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared tube pan & spread evenly.
- Bake 45 – 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven & cool for 30 minutes. Then, allow to cool upside down, on a wire cooling rack, until cake reaches room temperature.
- Run a small, sharp knife around edges of tube pan, before removing cake & turning it out onto a plate or pedestal.
Hot Cake Sauce:
This thick, Hot Cake Saucetopping my Winter Spice Cake has just a hint of maple flavor.
Type: Sauce Recipe
Yield: about 2 1/4 cups
Prep Time: about 20 min
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice or ground ginger
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup water
- few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- Melt butter in sauce pan.
- Stir in sugar, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice or ground ginger, salt & water, and stir until sugar dissolves & thickens somewhat. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg until frothy.
- Add a small amount of sauce to frothy egg, and whisk vigorously.
- Gradually add egg mixture to the sauce pan, stirring constantly.
- Return to heat, and stir until sauce has thickened to the degree desired.
- Remove from heat, and stir heavy cream into the sauce.
- Drizzle over or smother your winter spice cake with hot cake sauce, for a positively glorious dessert.
This dreamy sauce can be served drizzled over carrot cake or corn bread, over ice cream, yogurt or to dip fresh fruit, to name a few other uses. Try spiking it with 1-2 tbsp of rum, brandy, bourbon or liqueur of your choice for an adult treat!
This Gluten Free Tiger Nuts Winter Spice Cake is well complimented by Hot Cake Sauce.